The National Marine Aquarium is a registered charity committed to promoting a sympathetic understanding of the sea through education, conservation and research programmes
As the largest aquarium in the UK we have a dedicated and experienced team of biologists who deal with the day to day running and development of the displays, plus the management of all our off display husbandry areas. We have developed a programme that allows volunteers and students to experience this unique role and in turn assist the biologists with developing the aquarium
Our volunteers work directly with the husbandry team and assist in the day to day running and development of all aspects of the husbandry department. The positions are designed to introduce basic animal care and husbandry skills and volunteers receive invaluable experience of working in a large and dynamic aquarium helping us to achieve our aim of becoming one of Europe’s best
Day to day husbandry tasks include but are not limited to:
- Maintenance of display tanks
- Preparation of food for livestock
- Feeding livestock
- Maintenance of plankton cultures
- Maintenance of off display tanks
- Maintenance of life support systems
- Operant conditioning of individual animals
There are currently two different volunteering opportunities within the husbandry team.
- Husbandry internships allow volunteers to immerse themselves within the husbandry team for a period of 3 months. The intern will assist a particular biologist in the day to day running and development of their area. This role is rota’d and includes weekends.
- Industrial placement roles are for students whose degree course requires an industrial placement year. The student will gain an overall view of all the husbandry areas and will assist the husbandry team with the development of the aquarium. This role is rota’d and includes some weekends.
If you are interested in either of these roles please complete this Expression of Interest Form – Husbandry 2019 Dec-Feb and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Neither of these roles are paid and to work with our Husbandry Team you need to be over 18.