The National Marine Aquarium features in a 6-part documentary series, ‘Secrets of the Aquarium‘, which is currently being aired every Tuesday on BBC2 at 8pm until 19th December 2023!
Fresh from the documentary, join some of the stars of the show to learn more about life behind the lens. Hear the fun stories from filming, what it’s like to work with challenging animals, and how we inspire people to take action to protect the Ocean. We will also include fun activities for you to join in with that featured on the show – explore the tanks for yourself using our brand virtual reality experience, as well as seeing how quickly you can plant a seagrass mat!BOOK NOW
- Doors open at 17:30, with first speaker starting at 18:30. This event will close at 20:30.
- There will be a cash bar open!
- The Atlantic Ocean exhibit, home of Friday the Green turtle and El Diablo the Nurse Shark, will be open. The remainder of the Aquarium will be closed to the public.
Marcus our Curator
From intern to curator- A recollection of his time here at the aquarium across his various NMA jobs, including some memories that we not featured in the doc.
Freyja our Ocean Engagement Manager
Just the tip of the iceberg! We saw Oceans for All in the doc, time to take a deeper into how the programme came about, as well as an overview of other community engagement projects e.g. Blue Mind Hub
Xav our Lead Biologist
Xav is one of our main stars of the show. He plays a vital part in providing the best enrichment for our hungry animals and will be on hand to answers any burning questions you have!
Dylan our Ocean Discovery Ranger
Anyone can be a Marine Biologist! An overview of the different career paths that people take to secure marine biology focused jobs here, including some non-traditional educational paths. Recollection of own career paths to the ranger job seen in the doc.
Terms and conditions:
- As tickets can’t be purchased at the door, we strongly recommend purchasing tickets online prior.
- Please plan your visit according to the event timings. Doors will close slightly after the first speaker starts and you will not be permitted access. Please use our Functions & Events entrance for this event.
- Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Due to the nature of the content of talks, this event is open to those who are 12 years old and older.
- Children who are under 12 years old are not permitted on site.
- Annual return passes are not valid for these events.
- Please note that our Waves Café and Ocean Gift Shop will be closed for this event. Our bar will be open and limited viewing areas of the Aquarium.
If you have any questions for this event, email: firstname.lastname@example.org