Discovery and Learning
Volunteering on the Team
Discovery & Learning Volunteers are part of our fantastic Host Team who conduct the informal education and public engagement at the National Marine Aquarium.
Our volunteers interact, engage and inspire our visitors about our animals and marine conservation. These interactions take many forms: informal chats, busking activities and mini talks. Hosting is great for improving communication skills and gaining confidence. It gives volunteers invaluable experience in informal education and public communication. It is also great fun and an opportunity to be part of a team.
Other opportunities often arise including working with visitors in our Creative Centre on weekends and holidays, being involved with weekend birthday parties and assisting in one off events such as rock-pooling, beach cleans and representing the National Marine Aquarium at shows and events around Plymouth. Volunteers can also get involved in formal education including school tours, art and science workshops.
- Volunteer minimum 1 day a week, shifts are 10am-4pm (6 hours long with a 30-minute lunch break)
- Should have strong communication skills and enjoy talking
- Should have an interest in the marine environment, prior knowledge is not essential as training is provided
- Should have an interest in marine conservation
- Need to be reliable and dedicated
How to Apply
- Please email a brief outline (no more than 200 words) of the skill and experience you have that would make you a strong candidate, if you would like to you can also include a CV.
- To volunteer you must be aged 17 or over (If you are 17 you must have a letter of consent from a parent or guardian).
- In line with the requirements of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. As part of the recruitment process, you will be asked to provide documented evidence of eligibility.
- The National Marine Aquarium Limited welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is an Equal Opportunities employer.
Name: Oleta (Volunteer Coordinator)
Work Experience with the Team
Here at the National Marine Aquarium, we pride ourselves in providing the opportunity for young people to experience working in our Discovery and Learning Team, supporting us in achieving our aim of ‘Driving Marine Conservation through Engagement’. Pupils get the opportunity to communicate with members of the public, teach them about a wide variety of marine life and to educate visitors on marine conservation issues. They are also provided with the opportunity to shadow the teaching of school groups and to carry out some independent project work suited to their area of interest. Through such activities students are able to improve their presentation skills, gain confidence in communicating with others and experience working as part of a team. The placement also allows pupils to become more aware of the variety of careers open to someone with a Marine Biology/Zoology qualification.
Please note: The work experience placements we have on offer are only designed for pupils who have been requested to find a placement by their school and who are between the ages of 14-17. We only take on one student per placement so that we can dedicate time to ensuring they get the most out of their time with us. The placements take place during term time and last one week only.
If this sounds like an opportunity you would be interested in, please send us a CV and letter stating why you would like a placement here. You can email these documents to email@example.com, or alternatively you can post them to the following address:
National Marine Aquarium